Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mr. Smith Arrives

This story starts here.

It was Saturday again and exactly one week since the storm. There had been disturbing circumstances all week long and several instances of wrong numbers as well. Determined not to let these events get the best of me, I got up on this morning with plans to take care of a bunch of errands. I hated spending my weekends in this way, but there was never motivation to take care of errands during the week.

I stopped at the bank, dry cleaner, and grocery store. I only spotted my trenchcoated friend once during these stops. I still needed to stop at the gas station and the post office. As I was on my way back to the car with my groceries, I fished my keys out of my purse. I must not have been paying enough attention because I collided with a man coming from his car.

"Oh, I am so sorry," he said as we both bent to pick up my grocery bags that were knocked from my arms on impact.

"No, it was my fault, I'm sorry" I said. I was able to observe my crash partner without being too obvious. He was a good looking man.

"Is that everything?" he asked. "Can I help you to your car?"

"No, I'm good. Thanks for your help," I didn't want to inconvenience him any more than necessary.

"Sure, any time, sorry about the collision. By the way, my name is Bill. Bill Smith. I'm very happy to meet you."

"You've got to be kidding me." The words were out before I could stop them.

"Excuse, me?" he said.

"Nothing, sorry, hello, I'm Susan. Susan Stein. Nice to meet you."

This story continues here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home