Thursday, November 24, 2005

And So We Meet Again

This story starts here.

A few days later, I decided to treat myself to dinner out. I'm not one of those who feels real comfortable dining alone, but I find if I take a good book along for companionship, I can have a pleasant outing alone. I wandered into the local diner and settled into a corner booth. The waitress brought me some coffee and a menu and made my selections. While I waited for my meal, I opened my book and started to read.

A short time later, I heard, "Oh, it's you!" and glanced up to see Bill Smith walking toward me. "And so we meet again. How are you Susan?" he asked.

"I'm good. How're you?" I replied.

"I'm good too. Tired. I just stopped in for a bite to eat before heading home. Might I join you? I mean, if you're alone, that is" he became uncertain all of a sudden.

"Please do, my book and I were just enjoying some time alone." Susan laughed.

"Well, if I join you, you won't be alone" replied Bill. "You're sure?"

I waived away his concerns. The waitress noticed a new customer at her table and brought a menu for Bill. Soon, both of our dinners came and went and we were still talking. It was finally getting late and I had to get home. Bill offered to walk me to my car.

"You know, I've had some strange coincidences with the name of Smith recently," Susan decided to tell him what had been going on. "So, when you introduced yourself as Bill Smith last week, I was a little taken aback."

"I can understand why. I think I would have been the same way. Have you seen this guy around since then?" he asked.

"From time to time, I catch a glance of him behind me. But, I don't think he means me any harm. Lord knows, he's had plenty of opportunity." Susan tried to laugh at her own comments, but she was still a little leery of being followed.

"Maybe he's your guardian angel. Have you seen him tonight?" They had been standing in the parking lot next to her car for the last five minutes.

"No, not tonight," I replied. "I really should go." I unlocked my car door and started to get in. He said how nice it was to see me again and we parted. And, he didn't even ask for my number!

This story continues here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home