Monday, October 17, 2005

Prince John

John knew his lineage. His father was the king and he, the only son, was the prince. He knew this with every ounce of his being. And, now that his father was inches from death, he felt his calling stronger than ever. There were only two problems standing in his way. First, John was a toad. And, second, he didn't know that he was a toad.

Throughout his life, the other toads have humored John. It was simply easier to let him believe his heritage was lined in gold than to argue. Toads have relatively hoarse voices as it is, so they aren't big on confrontation. Their voices irritate their sensitive ears. Words are chosen selectively and used only when necessary.

John's mother had died years before. She never knew of John's illusions. It would have broken her heart to know that her only child had such wild fantasies from the very beginning. John's father never had much time for him. Left to his own devices, John created a life he could be proud of for himself.

John knew that in order to be successful, he needed a princess. He had fallen head over heels for a young woman in town and had just decided to ask her to be his wife. He approached her before he changed his mind. "Sophia, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Sophia eyed John suspiciously. "John, why would I want to marry you?" she asked.

"Because I am the prince who will soon become King," said John.

"John, when was the last time you looked into a mirror? You are not a prince; you are only a toad. I cannot marry a lowly toad," Sophia spoke gently, she was a gentle woman of manners.

"Sophia, you are wrong! I will make you happy and you will be my queen," John insisted.

Sophia walked to the tea cart and picked up a silver tray. She held the tray in front of John and asked him what he saw. "No! This can't be, I see a toad. That is not me! I am the prince." John was becoming less convinced.

Sophia reached out a hand and placed it on John's head. The same action could be seen in the reflection on the tray. A single tear spilled from John's eye as he shook his head and returned home to his father.

That evening, John's father was not well. He asked John to sit with him for a few minutes. "John, I'm sorry I never had much time for you. Please know, that you have been my sole treasure in life, after your mother, of course. You are the prince of my kingdom. I wish it were more." He then closed his eyes and never woke again.

John carried those parting words with him for the rest of his days. He was a toad; but he was a prince after all. His father had told him so. John learned to be more humble about his heritage. He did, however, feel smugly satisfied that he had been right all along.

2 Comments:

Blogger Billy Jones said...

Very touching... Reminds me of someone I know-- me. ;-)

Thursday, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Billy,

We are all Kings and Queens of our own kingdoms. Sometimes, we just need someone to remind us of that fact.

I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Thursday, November 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home