Thursday, October 13, 2005

Rainy Days and Mondays

Dreary clouds hung low overhead. Everything seemed to move in slow motion, including traffic. The first raindrops were being wiped away by the windshield wipers. Daylight would be late today. As the light changed to red, the snail-paced traffic stopped. And to think that I crawled out of a nice warm bed for this.

The radio was playing the oldies. I remembered these songs from my teens and once again marveled at how old I'd become. Oldies, indeed. With a sigh of impatience, I found another radio station. There was a talk show on about mid-life crises. Yeah, I don't need that either! The radio button was met with a fist and became quiet.

With the quiet and inactivity, my mind wandered. I remembered people I hadn't seen in years. Some I would never see again. Others, I didn't care whether I saw them. A few had moved on to other lives and forgotten everything and everybody they left behind. The ones that died were to be forgiven since it was not a conscious choice to forget. The others, I had to believe it was their loss.

The light had finally changed, but traffic was slow to move again. I might get to work some time today. I switched the radio back on just in time to hear "Rainy Days and Mondays." Boy, have they got that right.