Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Sleeping on Christmas Eve

It was Christmas Eve. Mom and Dad said I had to go to sleep or Santa would not come. I tried. I really tried. I was too excited to sleep. Every noise the house made received prompt attention. I listened real hard to hear if that noise was Santa. Every time, I was disappointed.

I could hear Mom and Dad downstairs talking. That was comforting sound since I hear that every night when I drift off to sleep. Only tonight, every time I started to drift, I would hear a possible Santa noise. I was positive I knew exactly what sound the reindeer would make as they landed on our roof. I wasn't sure how they were going to land since our house came to a point, but I knew he'd come any way.

We only had one bathroom in the house and I could hear my parents when they came up to use that bathroom. They seemed to have to go a lot. As soon as I dozed off for a second, someone else would come up to use the bathroom. They were busy tonight. Mom said I had to go to sleep, but sleep would not claim me.

I started to count sheep. The sheep soon turned into elves and I would hear another noise. Instantly, my ears picked up and my eyes were wide. Nothing! I would start counting elves again. I could only count to 10 so that didn't take too long. I would start over again.

I must have fallen asleep at some point. When I woke up Christmas morning there were lots of presents under the tree. Not only had I missed Santa, I missed stealing the last cookie from the plate that we left for the old man. Man! Next year, I'm gonna catch him for sure!

2 Comments:

Blogger Billy Jones said...

The true story of Christmas for every child.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

It brings back some vague memories. Sometimes, you just have to remember what it was like when you were that age...even when that age seems like eons ago.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home