Friday, July 15, 2005

Once a Frog, Always a Frog (old)

George and Sharon were sitting on their lily pads enjoying a quiet moment while the other frogs played on the other side of the pond. George let out a long sigh. "What is the matter, George?" asked Sharon.

"I was not meant to be a frog," said George.

"What do you mean 'you were not meant to be a frog,' you are a frog!" exclaimed Sharon.

"I look like a frog, yes, but actually, I am a prince," said George evenly.

"What are you talking about, George?" Sharon asked indignantly. "I happen to like frogs!"

"Well, you should like frogs," answered George, "You are one. I, on the other hand, am a prince. I belong with Princess Sylvia. And, as soon as she kisses me, we will live happily ever after."

"Princess Sylvia is not going to kiss you, George! She screams and runs away every time she sees you!" laughed Sharon.

"I know, I know!" said a frustrated George. "I really cannot blame her for screaming. I'm quite an ugly frog. I hate these bumps all over my body."

"Oh, but George, you have a wonderful complexion and your bumps are in all the right places. I know many who would love to have your looks," Sharon said soothingly.

"They would be welcome to them!" George pouted.

"But, I have an idea. I just need to talk to the princess and explain it to her before she sees me. Then, everything will be fine," George tried to sound convinced.

"And, how are you going to do that?" Sharon was convinced that George was crazy, but he had aroused her interest. Maybe after the plan failed, he would come back to her. She had loved George for as long as she could remember.

"Just you wait and see," said George secretively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of nights later, George decided to carry out his plan. It was a dark night since the moon was hiding behind the clouds. He set out to the castle to claim his princess.

Upon reaching the castle, he went directly beneath his princess's window. He had seen her in that room many times as he watched from the courtyard. He had been practicing his high jumps for weeks and knew he could reach her window, but he still eyed his target warily.

He made one mighty jump and landed on the window sill looking into the princess's room. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. He could make out the form of the sleeping Sylvia in the bed. He jumped into the room.

"Princess Sylvia!" He spoke just above a whisper and heard nothing but silence for an answer.

"Princess Sylvia!" He called louder this time. He heard some stirring as Sylvia sat up in bed.

"Who dares to invade my bedchamber and disturb my precious sleep?" she demanded.

"It is I, my Princess, George! I mean no disrespect. I was desperate for an audience with you and knew no better way," George replied calmly.

"You have my attention now! Let me light a taper and we can talk." The princess found George's voice to be very pleasant.

"No! Please do not light a taper, my princess! My appearance is not wholesome enough for your eyes. I wish only to be heard." George positioned himself in the shadow beneath the window.

"Very well, then. Speak!" commanded the princess.

"Princess Sylvia, I am a prince who seeks the pleasure of your company. I have never seen another as beautiful or as kind as you," George stated confidently.

"Your voice sounds familiar. I know I have heard that wonderful sound before. But, I do not know, nor have I ever heard of, a prince named George," the princess stated suspiciously.

"Yes, my princess, my circumstances are most unusual. In my current state, I am not fit to be near you. If my princess would consent to one kiss upon these undeserving lips, my world would change forever." George held his breath as he waited for an answer.

Princess Sylvia had never encountered anyone bold enough to ask for a kiss. She had to know who this was that was speaking to her so casually. She lit the taper and directed the light toward the window. She screamed.

George was out of the window before the screams died. He was heartbroken, but knew he must get away quickly. He could hear noises above him. The princess's screams had aroused the castle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Sharon found George sitting alone with a frown on his face. "What is wrong, George? You look awful," Sharon was concerned.
"The princess will never kiss me!" exclaimed George. A single tear slid down George's cheek.

"Probably not, George," Sharon believed in being realistic. "Would you ever be satisfied with a kiss from a mere frog?" With that, she snatched his tear with her tongue.

George could not help but laugh. "Oh, I do not know. Maybe," said George trying to be serious.

Sharon kissed him again and said, "You can be my prince, George."

George smiled sheepishly and said, "And you have always been a princess, Sharon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home