Monday, November 21, 2005

Stranger in the Storm

It was a dark and stormy night. The electricity had gone out over an hour ago, and the only light inside came from eerie candle flame playing hopscotch on the walls. Occasionally, a flash of lightning would add to the scary quality of the night. I happened to look out during one flash of lightning. Was that a man I saw standing in the rain staring at me? I should have taken comfort from the fact that I was inside, warm and dry, while he was outside, wet.

I was unable to see if my watcher was actually there. The night was a sturdy curtain of black and the rain battered my window with distorted patterns. I stood and waited for the next flash of light that I knew would come soon. Yes, there was someone standing across the street staring at my house. I withdrew into the shadows in case he really could see me. All I could see was a man in a dark trenchcoat, dark hat, and umbrella. The umbrella was not even opened.

I had no idea why anyone would take such interest in me or my house. It didn't bother me a great deal except that I was alone and I knew the phone was not working. That service had disappeared with the power. It simply was not a night to be out, and yet, this guy was just standing there. This knowledge mixed with the shadows cast by the candles to cause my skin to crawl. The wind had picked up and the thunder was much louder now than it had been.

The next clap of thunder was enough to make me jump and then I remembered what had drawn me to the window in the first place. I had heard a loud snap of a tree branch. When I looked out, I couldn't see to tell if a branch had come down. I only saw my stranger when the lightning came again. I would have to check the property in the morning to see if there were any branches that needed to be removed. I took one final look out the window as I saw headlights coming up the street, my stranger had disappeared.

Without realizing that I had been holding my breath, I breathed a great sigh of relief that he had gone. I headed back to my chair and my book that I was attempting to read by candlelight just as there was a knock on my door. I froze.

This story continues here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home