Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Unknown

As I wander the unknown, I am excited about my adventure but fearful at the same time. There is so much I don’t know. I am unaware whether red and green still mean stop and go. Such simple things as that are up in the air. There is much to fear. Would I do a “normal” act only to find myself faced with an entirely different meaning? I pray not. I pray in the only way I know even if this place was not created by a greater being.

There are no people anywhere. I have never minded being alone; but, this was eerie. There is no one to turn to when questions arise. There is no instruction book on life. Does anything I knew have meaning? My sight might as well be that of a blind person since I cannot trust what I see. I am reminded of the mazes we used to trace when we were kids and magic tricks where things changed while we paid such close attention. I hug myself in as much of an effort to warm my body as to physically check that my body still exists.

I didn’t actually walk but changed my position by appearing where I was looking. I need to stop looking around so much since I find myself dizzy from movement. I close my eyes and calm myself. This is not real. We take for granted that things mark our surroundings. We have floors, ceilings and walls. We have earth, sky, and trees. All of those things were gone now. I was just me and the swirling mist with occasional shadows that caught my eye. Since there was no sunshine, I wondered about the shadows.

There was only darkness that got darker and darker the further I went until there was nothing. It was impossible to tell how far I moved or how long I had been moving. Time seemed to have slowed or I moved in slow motion; I couldn’t decide. At one point, I though I saw light. I moved toward it. There is something comfortable about light as we see every time a moth gravitates to a light bulb or open flame. The moth has not learned to fear the heat associated with light. He is simply drawn to it as I am now.

The light grows as I approach. I can feel gentle warmth spread through me the closer I get. Soon, perspiration beads my brow. The light grows until it encompasses my being and I awake covered in sweat, tangled in bedclothes, in the safety of my own bed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Wow! this really captures a bit of what dreaming is like.

CAN YOU DIG IT!

Yes, I can.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Now, THAT's a comment. Thank you, James.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home