Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Time Tricks Us

I knew I couldn't stick around and watch my grandfather wither away. He wasn't the man I had just seen. He was the man I remembered from all those years ago. We spent many summers hiking through the woods and fishing in the lake. That was the man I wanted to remember...to remember anything less would be too painful. This was only a fraction of his former self.

Even though it was painful to see him like this, I'm glad I put forth the effort. It only strengthens what I knew. The voice and the eyes are still the same. The eyes know me. The voice reprimands me for staying away so long even though we both know why. This is what I came for. The memories came back more vividly after the encounter. These are the memories I will carry with me. This is the comfort I had sought.

They always said you could never go back home. This is true. Some things never change, but time takes its toll. There's no way to change back a clock after you've left. There's no way to really recapture the feelings you had unless you never leave in the first place. Going back, though, helps the memories. Going back puts things into perspective. Going back was the right thing to do.

Why is it always harder to do the right thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home