Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Time Ravages On

The man sitting in front of me was one I had known my entire life. The man sitting in front of me was only a shrunken image of the man I had known. He was dying and we both knew it. I took his had and tried to convey with ineffectual words all that needed to be said and done. I knew this man and he knew me. We loved each other. The years, however, had not been kind to either of us. We no longer had any connection except for blood.

What was is sometimes harder to let go of that what actually is. The next time I saw him would be at his funeral. I can only hope that my appearance that day was enough to let him know that I remembered what we had. I cherished those years together before our lives took us on different roads of adventure. His life hadn't gone that far since I left, but time had caught up with him.

My own life had been busy. The people I left behind were thought of only when the need arose. Sometimes that need came too late. There is no way to take back time once it has gone. We can only hope to do a better job in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home