Monday, December 12, 2005

Winter Wonderland

As I watch the curtain of white blanket the earth, I notice how pretty the trees are with their natural trim. White turns to grey as traffic moves through the lane. Looking up, white again meets the grey of the clouds discernible against the night sky. The stars won't twinkle tonight as there are no gaps in the gray. The moon will not smile its cheesy smile for us to see either.

A low-flying plane crosses above a distant pine and sparkles brightly as it passes by. It reminds me of the star which adorns most Christmas trees. The wind has stopped blowing long enough for me to enjoy the moment. All that is missing is the music and someone to share the moment with. Alas, life happens quickly and we cannot always make a moment to cherish the beauty of what is.

Winter is often the time for hibernation. I think the bears have the right idea. Most of us just want to get home and keep warm. We miss the miracle of the first snow and only dwell on what our ride to work will be the next day. I wanted my camera earlier to capture what was around me. I was, however, to much in a hurry to get where I was going to run back inside and grab it.

It is a shame to miss how the lights reflect against the snow. Houses are lit when people are home and the lights add to the atmosphere. Many times, it is a silent beauty that awaits us. Let's not wait until someone puts in on a card before we enjoy it. Snow can be a bear to get around in, but the undisturbed landscape can be breathtaking. When was the last time you made a snow angel or a snow man?

I'll dedicate my snow angel to Donovan.

5 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

This is a beautiful meditation on winter. I love the yellow squares of light that signify someone is warm and cozy inside their home, too.

Thanks so much for your concern for me and my mole.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005  
Blogger Tom.... said...

I am one of those bears you speak of....love to sleep and cozy up by the fireplace in the winter season...all my kids are hooked on roaring fires...when they come home for visits, that's one of the first things my oldest wants to do...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Patry,

Thanks for the comments.

Tom,

That sounds ideal to me!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had one wanna-be snow so far. It started around 4 am and ended around 9. It was pretty while it lasted, but thank goodness it didn't hang around. this little descriptive piece you did almost made me want snowy days. I'll tell you one thing that's absolutely lovely--an ice storm. It leaves the branches of the trees sheathed in ice and looks life faery has come to earth. I love that.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Nan,

I'll be happy to send some your way. We may get back up to the 40s by the weekend...

Tuesday, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home