Monday, November 28, 2005

All in the Music

I spent my first day back at work listening to Christmas songs. It was wonderful. I've decided one of the things I like most about the holidays is the music. Of course, the decorations and the gifts help, but the music just does something to me. I can hear the same songs every year and never get tired of them. Of course, my favorite ones can be played over and over again. I think I hear something new in this music every time I listen to it. It doesn't matter if I've already heard it a thousand times, it is a discovery every time.

I think a lot of it has to do with the idea that Christmas Carols are "feel good" songs. They're about love and giving and being together. They rock! Now, Bing Crosby's music has been around for years. I didn't become overly interested in his Christmas album until he paired up with David Bowie. The duet they do is pure magic. I even handed my headphones to a friend today so she could hear that one song. It is gorgeous.

Even so, the movie "The Santa Clause" gives us snippets of my favorite rendition of White Christmas. I eventually got that song along with the Beach Boy's Little Saint Nick on the Dick Clark Rock 'n Roll Christmas collection from Time/Life. It is a great collection. Of course, I have had a number of occasions when I brought an album, tape or CD for one song and ended up falling in love with every song. I really like when that happens.

And, we cannot forget Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You. That song is a must have. So, go listen to some Christmas music and get yourself in the holiday spirit. Even though Christmas is being promoted before Halloween these days, we've safely passed Thanksgiving and it is okay to listen to these wonders now. Maybe grab some eggnog (not too much since it is so fattening), turn up the stereo, and dream a few minutes of a jolly fat man in a red suit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Ugh! I HATE Mariah Carey's song. Actually I've never cared much for carols, but this year I find myself enjoying them - through Terra, she LOVES them, all of them, and tries to sing along while she dances and tries to make everyone else sing along too. It's adorable, especially when it's a bunch of strangers in some doctor's office somewhere that she's trying to make sing...

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I would really love to see Terra in action, especially in the doctor's office.

Actually, Mariah's song became popular at a time where the title held true for me. I was alone on Christmas for one reason or another. I needed that song because it was so true for me. I eventually got the CD.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

ah, I have a song like that too, that has enough sentimental meaning to overcome the cheesiness.

What's up with your word verification codes tonight? The last one was ivget (I'm not big on IV's BTW) and this one says saiyrphat (say, you're fat!) Blogger's got quite the sense of humor eh?

Wednesday, November 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home