Friday, October 07, 2005

Strange Things

I've been writing some strange things lately. Most notedly was the one about the verdict and then about retribution. The retribution piece I can blame on television. Two shows recently had death row inmates in them. Otherwise, I have no clue where those came from. Even the library story was a bit strange. That one needs to be built on.

I think, though, I would be more concerned if I didn't write some strange things from time to time. It doesn't really matter that I don't know where they come from. It only matters that they come.

It is not the job of the writer to have all of the answers. It is more their job to explore all of the questions. It is their job to present new ideas in different ways and to possibly entertain while doing so. It is most importantly their job to get people to think about what has been written. I think those two prison pieces do that. At least, I hope they do.

Don't be afraid to write things that are off the wall. Let them happen. If we spend too much time worrying about the whys and whats, we've wasted time that could be spent writing and sharing. Let the reader determine why the piece was written. Just write it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home