Saturday, October 08, 2005

Selection Process

It is kind of interesting really how our lives are a process of selection. Our stores are filled with a selection of merchandise. We go pick and choose our groceries or clothes from these offerings. These items are then added to our wardrobes or pantries. We can then select what we would like to wear or what we would like to eat from our subset.

Often times, our selections can be influenced. Christmas merchandise goes on display before Halloween. Thanksgiving dinner items are also featured around the same time. These are attempts to get us to change our subset. Advertising also tries to influence what we buy as well. If what we seek at a given time does not exist, we are unable to make a purchase. We do, however, substitute something that is available rather than wait for the original.

Then, too, what we possess in our subset of things enhances our perception of these items. For instance, I never noticed how many blue Cavaliers there were on the street until I got mine. I am more likely to notice a Cavalier. I am especially likely to notice one in blue. Another example, one day at work I was wearing the same top that another woman was wearing. We ended up in the same room. Funny thing is that we both received these tops from our mothers.

What we have is a subset of the total that is available. When we all must make choices from that universe, there are bound to be many overlaps. The examples I've provided are very simplistic, but well worth thinking about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

lol I bought 2 turkies the other day for Thanksgiving dinner... I'll still buy 2 more, but they were on sale, and I was thinking holidays and my yearly turkey dinner donations to the battered woman's shelter for Christmas and Thanksgiving...

I've also already bought my Christmas cards, also because they were on sale.

Points well made here V... I can also tell you how many vans just like ours are here in Monroe - one even has nearly identical imprfections in the pain on the hood lol.

Sunday, October 09, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

If you'll remember, I once said that we were victims of Katrina simply because we were so totally overexposed to media about Katrina. The same thing is true here, we are victims of selection.

I'm glad, though, that you found this stuff on sale.

For awhile, our grocery store was giving us $5 off a $50 purchase. For many weeks, we were damned sure we spent that $50 even if we didn't necessarily need $50 worth of groceries. If you spent it, you got the $5 off and another coupon for the next week. Then it was $5.50 off of $55. They stopped that and I'm glad. I felt it was too controlling and I spent more than I needed to.

Sunday, October 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home