Tuesday, October 04, 2005

People to Write About

There are a lot of screwy people in this world. We experience them every day. Just look at the drivers around you in your morning commute. If people are in that much of a hurry to get to work, why don't they leave earlier? The commute home might be understandable. We all get off around the same time and some drivers just have no patience.

The normal driver these days weaves in and out of traffic while talking on a cell phone or blasting the radio. They don't get anywhere any faster than we do, but break all traffic laws in getting there. And, of course, there are never any police around when we observe this behavior.

Then we have people that are just plain idiots. When we become entangled with these idiots, we are the ones who suffer. The idiots usually get away with the unbecoming behavior either by design or by accident. We have the liars, cheaters, and those who just screw people over in general. These people are just bad news.

These are some of the reasons that I enjoy creating characters in my writing. I can give them better-than-average traits. I can make them good people. And, I can control their badness, if needed. People can get into trouble when needed. Usually, when there is trouble, there's also an epiphany or something that makes the trouble worthwhile.

Another writer once wrote that she didn't like vacations and doing the tourist thing. She'd rather stay home and write. I suggested this is because writers have the ability to write any vacation they desire. Why would we need to take a vacation when we could write it. On the one hand, what I say is true. On the other, we all need an occasional break.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

lol, I wish I could write my own business deals, and NOT include one of those bad news people you mention above.

I think I'm gonna write myself into a long bubble bath and a stroll on the beach now :)

ML~~
~E

Wednesday, October 05, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could give people attributes simply by writing them or through osmosis?

I like the idea of the bubble bath and the stroll on the beach. I might reverse the order, though.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home