Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Hallow's Eve Short

It was getting dark earlier these days. I think they deliberately set clocks back right before Halloween just to make it scarier for the trick or treaters. I never was that fond of the dark, but my love of candy wins every year and I have just the plan for maximizing my stockpile this year. I would only feel better if I could shake this feeling of being watched.

Even when I went to strangers' doors and begged for candy, I didn't feel safe. My skin was crawling in an unpleasant way. I felt invisible spiders weaving their equally invisible webs along my arms and on the back of my neck. I couldn't shake the feeling. And, I mean, I literally shook myself to free my body of those invisible spiders.

At one point, I felt that my stalker was right on my heels. I peeked cautiously behind me and almost saw him. I stopped beneath a tree and pressed my back to the trunk. I didn't hear any telling footsteps behind the tree. I listened for a moment and felt a bit safer about stepping out of the darkness.

When I reached the next street light, the feeling came back like lightning. I whirled around and there was no one there. I did notice, however, that I was dancing with a most atrocious looking shadow I had ever seen. My witches hat gave my shadow a frightening appearance. It was an eerie sight watching that shadow, my shadow, grow and fade as I moved.

I had been haunted by my own shadow all night. That'll teach me to dress as a witch and go begging for candy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home