Friday, August 26, 2005

Realism

Our stories need to have some basis in reality in order to be believable. Tonight, we watched an outdoor fight scene that began with the trees and landscape were in full color. The scene shifted without forewarning to a snowstorm and the fight is still going on.

Give me a break, even the best fighters are going to die out before the seasons change. And to think that the fight was over a woman. We have one man scorned who must kill the other because she betrayed first to be with the second. The second many must kill the scorned man because he killed her. Oh, what a tangled web we weave. In real life, the whole mess would have been over in seconds.

In case you're wondering, the movie was "The House of the Flying Daggers." It was a decent movie for fight scenes, but they need to watch that reality factor just a bit more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

heeheee

I was just going to mention I knew the movie --

in argument to the "realism" however I must point out that at times "symbolism" may have a stronger role to play, perhaps the seasonal change was symbolic of something else?

Or just global warming gone haywire. :)

Friday, August 26, 2005  
Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Just the trailer alone told me all that I needed to know about this flick. Later, lady. I'm up late reading your blog. I've been on the road all day, driving. Suckaronious! ~ The James

Saturday, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Good point Laura. Maybe something like the winters of our lives can come quicker than we expect. And be shorter?

James, sorry to keep you up. Thanks for reading. I hope you slept well.

Saturday, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Laura said...

Or that you don't need a snow blower if you have a sharp sword -- that would make a good fortune cookie, huh?

Sunday, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Yes, indeed.

Sunday, August 28, 2005  
Blogger e said...

You know, I saw that flick too and my favorite part was just the scenery. There were innumerable times throughout that movie where I thought "I'd hang that on my wall." I agree the story itself was a bit melodramatic, but the cinematography...stunning.

Sunday, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Yes, the scenery was lovely.

Sunday, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home