Wednesday, August 24, 2005

On Writing

I suppose there's a lot that I don't understand in life. That may be one of the multitude reasons that I write. I try to make sense of the world or write about a world that makes sense to me. I don't even pretend to understand what is going on with gas prices, crime, and abuse. Instead, I write about case that gets solved, the generosity of people, and things outside this world where people are recruited for higher purposes.

Along those lines, I've always thought that writers possessed great imaginations. It may not even really be imagination at times. It might actually be a unique perception. Perhaps there is a little perspective involved as well.

Instead of seeing one side of a die, we see all six sides and see it as a whole. We see it standing on its corner and spinning uncontrollably. Maybe we see more. I also thing we, as writers, also feel a sense of dissatisfaction with the way things are. Maybe we have stronger ideas about the way things should be. I'm not quite sure about that one.

We do, at least, have the creativity to explore what's missing. We are the much like the Enterprise in which we "go where no man has gone before." Isn't that what we try to tell people to do in their poetry. Tell us the same thing in a different way?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

True. There is no good without evil, no darkness without light. But there is a hole in the whole that we see, an empty cavity, and it is ours. ~ The James

Saturday, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Excellent way of putting it, James.

Saturday, August 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home