Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Listen While You Work

Some things are just unknowns until they happen. Two things come to mind. The story I submitted to Chicken Soup. The only way that I will truly know that they have my story is if and when they accept it to be used in a book. Otherwise, they don't send rejections. They claim to keep stories on file for four years.

The other example of this is when you submit to a contest. You never really know that your entry made it there until you hear back from them, hopefully in the form of winning. I had a taste of this one today. A local radio station has a "listen while you work" contest. I sent in my name back probably about February because I wanted the computer system that was the prize for that month. March and April prizes were that they would pay your rent for a year.

What happens is they select names three times per day and allow one bonus hour per day. Every morning they tell you the times that the names will be drawn and the hour for the bonus where if you know the "secret word" you can call in. You have 30 minutes to call them back once your name is given. Or, you can be the twelfth caller during the bonus hour. Prizes during the day vary, but all of the daily winners are eligible for the grand prize each month. This month, it is a trip to Jamaica.

This morning, shortly after 11, I decided to step away for a few minutes. When I got back to my desk, my voice mail light was on. I don't necessarily like getting voice mail, but, I checked my messages. One of the women from another department heard my name and called to tell me. So, I called. NO ONE ANSWERED. The line is always busy when I call. So, I tried again. It was answered on the second ring.

My prize for listening while I work is the DVD of the entire first season of "Lost." I never watched it, so that's cool. My mother and brother really like the show. The good part is that the monthly drawing will be made on Thursday morning. I have to check, but I think the monthly drawing is an accumulation of all the daily winners since January. Odds wouldn't be so bad if I was only being drawn from August's winners.

So, that's my story for today. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy Jones said...

I'll cross my fingers for you... wait, I can't type with crossed fingers, would it be okay if I crossed ny toes? Or maybe I should learn to type with my toes?

Also, thanks for the compliments. My secret: I just let the verses write themselves and I do it a lot.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Erin said...

Hey congrats V! Lost is an excellent show, in a weird sort of way - I was a total addict, looking forward to the new season starting next month.

Good luck with the drawing too!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005  
Blogger e said...

Oooh, V! I will think of you when I watch the first season again -- I preordered the DVDs. :) Maybe you will become a Lost junkie too!

Saturday, September 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home