Monday, August 15, 2005

From July 12

So, I guess I was bored the other night.

I remember people I went to elementary school with better than people from high school. I got bored and I started plugging in names. Remember, I kept the database for the reunion. Well, I was too lazy to open the database to do any real work. In elementary school, you spent nine months of the year with the same people in the same room. Often, you would be with the same subset of people for several years. We didn't change rooms for classes until fifth or sixth grade. So, I started plugging in searches for people I remembered from elementary school.

Now, Charlies wrote. I knew this because there was an article about him in one of our paper's magazine section some years back. It turns out that he's written three science fiction novels. Also, for the past 38 years, I remember this turtle pin that I have as coming from him. So I did some digging. I found an interview he did although I wasn't sure when it was (turns out it was in '97). I learned he was married and had a son and was a teacher of writing and poetry for seventh grade at an all-boys school. For some reason, I was thinking he was in Michigan. I found another post where he commented on someone's work and lo and behold, there was an email address. So, what the hell?

I sent him an email and asked if he went to Roxboro. I told him that I swore he gave me a turtle pin in the second grade. He wrote me back! Although he didn't remember second grade at all, he did go to Roxboro and it was entirely likely that he gave me the pin because he never went through that whole "girls are yuckie" phase. He was, of course, very curious how I found him.

So, I wrote him back. We exchanged a couple more emails and I mentioned that I also dabbled in writing. I gave him my blog address since he wanted to know about my writing. I made sure to tell him there was no obligation for him to visit. I know he did visit but I haven't heard back. I think it is just so cool.

During his interview (it was really a chat session that was published), he mentioned working on a book. It turns out that this fourth book has taken 10 years and should be done by the end of this summer. He has two chapters written of his fifth book already. It also turns out that the boy's school is right across the ravine from me. I have no idea why I thought he was in Michigan.

And then, I had to go and write that dumb ass poem. The whole thing just tickled me so much.

Forgive my use of "So" so much and "it turns out."

And, that's the story. I hope you enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home