Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Agony of Inability

Sometimes we get too close to our work that we fail to see the obvious. Even when something sits for a time, we may have too much invested to do justice. Yes, I'm referring to the short story I just finished. If you noticed, the dates for most of it were from 2002. Even after more than three years, I had a connection to this story.

I did add a small amount to two pre-existing chapters. I did write the final chapter which was sadly missing for all that time. I'll be damned, though, if I can make any significant changes to what was already written. For instance, I was told that the second chapter of book one was bland in comparison to the first. I think it didn't really give us all that much information. I should really do something about this chapter.

In defense of chapter two, I think we obtain some valuable information. We meet Emma and we are shown how the world will view the events of the previous night. We are also clued into the fact that Jim knows more than he's telling. These are all important pieces of information. However, they need to be less blandly stated. I have no idea how to accomplish this. The problem is that I am perfectly happy with the piece. The problem is that I'm definitely wrong in being so attached.

Feedback is invaluable. I got the feedback. Now I just need the ability to act on that feedback. I'm hoping that one day soon, I will be able to accomplish that feat. In the meantime, I will continue to mull over the comments I have received until something clicks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home