Monday, August 22, 2005

About September Mourn

September Mourn went through a tremendous amount of editing. The story is actually two parts and when the editor of Book of Remembrance told me the story was too long and needed to be shortened, I had no problem chopping the story apart again. The first part was published. The second part, though, is no less interesting since it shows what I think happened after Mike and Sharon got out of the tower.

Therein lie two major points I have tried to make time and again. Editing your work is a good thing. I went from Mike untangling code that resembled a bowl of spaghetti to where it is today. Sometimes it takes feedback from friends and acquaintances for us to see things for what they really are.

Also, I have advocated changing an existing work to make it more appropriate for another audience. In this case, it meant shortening the work. I would do the same thing with the first chapter of Night Lights if a publishing opportunity arose. Both pieces can stand on their own in their shorter versions. It is always possible to submit the additions as a sequel at a later date.

The one thing I have never done and I probably should do is write poems for both of these stories. Both stories are very dear to me. I'm not sure I could write those poems. I might have to give it a try.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Do it. Someone once said, and this is paraphrased: If a certain piece is giving you trouble, (or whatever, I'm sure) attack it at a unusual hour. In other words, sneak up on it. I want to read your published work. ~ James

Tuesday, August 23, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

James, thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot.

Friday, August 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home