Monday, July 11, 2005

Take Chances

It is when we get caught in ruts of our own making that we can suffer from writer's block. As you know, when our car gets stuck in a rut, it is usually the back and forth rocking of the car with wheels turning in small increments that gain our success. The same is true for writing.

We can break out of even the deepest rut with persistence. Maybe we can start with something similar to what we've always done and add a new element. Maybe we normally write free verse. Let's try taking one of those free verse ideas and creating a structured piece from it.

Maybe we've always written poetry. Let's take one of our poem ideas and expand it into a short piece of flash fiction. Dare to take the chance to do something different. You may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Maybe you normally visit the blogs of others and then move on your merry way. Try leaving a comment of two. You might meet some really neat people. On the poetry boards, we talk a lot about reciprocity. The same can be true for blog hopping. I can't, however, visit your blog if I don't know who you are. If I knew who you were, I might make an effort to find you in order to visit your site.

I've met some great people through blog hopping and gotten a few opportunities as well. Take a chance and do something different. See where it leads. You can always go back to your rut tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

heh, I think I've spent 50% of the last 5 years in that rocking motion. It's horrible. Of course, I get so deep into it that I can't even imagine trying something new - I just rock and rock, like a mad woman hiding in the dark corner of the attic lol.

Monday, July 11, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Don't hit me...but after today, maybe the attic is the safest place for you...

Tuesday, July 12, 2005  
Blogger e said...

You can always go back to your rut tomorrow. It's both sad and funny that I think this all the time. Odd to take comfort in the promise of easy regression back into the ho hum. Way to verbalize it, V!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Isn't it though? I find that I can do almost anything as long as I know it is temporary. Even pain is tolerable if you know that it eventually ends.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005  
Blogger e said...

How true! And I am entitled to agree, having 4 tattoos!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home