Thursday, July 07, 2005

Silence

Sometimes, someone will pose a challenge that just has to be answered. I'm working on the poem about silence without mentioning sound. Let's try that one here as well.

The room fills with a foreboding emptiness as we both know we've said too much. Some words strike with the force of an open-handed blow and are impossible to take back. The look of shock, then anger, passes over my face as I struggle for words that won't come. My speechlessness hangs heavy between us. We can no longer meet each other's eyes. An emptiness grows until it suffocates me enough that I walk to the open window in my desire for air. I sense, rather than hear, movement behind me. Without a word, he picks up his jacket and walks out of my life forever.

If only I knew the rest of the story...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home