Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Side Effects

We have the potential to affect others lives on a daily basis. Many of us do not know the influence we have on others. Or, we often register surprise when we do find that we've left our mark. Someone recently mentioned the domino effect. I think this is a valid subject for today.

How often have you found yourself in a bad mood and, without intending to, taken that mood out on someone else? Yeah, that's what I thought. Only a few times too many does this happen. If people would simply learn to leave us alone when we're in bad moods, we'd all be better off. Most of us aren't good enough to wear signs around our necks that say "Bad mood! Stay away!" It is only after we've bitten someone's head off that they figure it out. By then, the damage is already done.

The problem is that this person is probably in a bad mood as well since we've taken our mood out on them. Who will their next victim be and what kind of mood will that victim end up in? This can go on and on until everyone we've come into contact with is having a bad day. Amazing, huh?

On the up side, the same holds true for positive events. I can make someone's day by complimenting them on their outfit. I can go out of my way to do something nice for someone simply because. I can, in many cases, just be myself and have others take away a positive feeling. That sounds conceited, I know.

Try it sometime. Put on a positive attitude and see how your interactions with others go. Do a good deed and see how much good cheer you can spread over the course of a day or a week. You might surprise yourself or someone else.

Keep your bad moods in check so that you don't spread it around. Mind it like a cold.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patry Francis said...

I'm taking your challenge; I'll try it tomorrow and check back.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I'll be interested to hear the results. BTW, you might be interested in Contraptions. That's the poetry part of me.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home