Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Recap

The other day, I posted the Dollhouse Experiment. Since then, I have added to the story, but I really didn't know where I was going with the story. Well, it seems I knew more than I thought about where the story should go. The main point, though, is that I DIDN'T HAVE A PLAN.

I even admitted that my short stories have been written where they take me. It some sense, they worked well that way. They will, however, probably never see anything more than the light of a friend's eyes. I found in the Dollhouse, I ended up writing more to make up for my lack of direction. Now that I've determined my direction, I can get back on track.

I find that once I've written something, I'm very hesitant about removing it. I have no problem adding; I just don't like subtracting. That is another flaw. Had I had a plan in the beginning, the subtraction might be less necessary. As it stands now, whatever I've written already will probably stay.

Now, it is okay to run your stories or ideas by your friends to see how they react and get feedback. It is even okay to change your idea, the plan, and the route taken. I don't advise, though, writing blindly without a clue. It can only lead to trouble. Save that kind of writing for your flash fiction pieces. They tend to be short enough to support that kind of treatment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home