Friday, July 29, 2005

Night Lights Book One Chapter Six

3/1/02

Since Jim’s death one month ago, Emma had been distraught with grief. The couple had rarely been apart in all their years of marriage. Sleep offered little solace since Emma’s dreams were filled with her husband. She slept sporadically.

Tonight, Emma was especially tired and looked forward to getting into bed. For the first time since his death, she went right to sleep. Light in the room woke her up a couple of hours later. A glance at the clock told her it was 2:00 a.m. A voice was in her brain.

“Hello, Emma.”

“Who are you?”

“You know who I am. Jim told you all about me.”

“Jim’s gone. What do you want?” Emma felt as if she should be frightened, but, strangely enough, she was not.

“I know Jim is gone. I came to see you. You shouldn’t grieve so. Jim had a good life. He is happy now.”

“He is? I miss him so much!”

“I know, Emma. How would you like to have what he had?”

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean, Emma. Jim was different after he met me. Would you like that?”

Emma hesitated slightly. “He had so much energy. You did that for him, and after a year, you took him away.”

“Yes, that’s right.”

Emma was no longer young and the idea of returning to youth for a year before she died appealed to her. “Then I will be with him?”

“Of course, Emma.”

“Yes, I would like that.” She promptly fell back to sleep.

The next morning, Emma awoke with a vague sense of having had a strange dream. It was then that she remembered. “I understand everything now, Jim. It won’t be long. I’ll be seeing you soon.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

It's funny how often in a looong marriage like this that the surviving partner dies within a year of the first one dying. Maybe this is what happens...

Saturday, July 30, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Hmm, I never thought about that. There are two more "books" to this story. Do we need a break?

Saturday, July 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home