Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Night Lights Book One Chapter Four

2/4/02

Four weeks later...

Every year, the town had a pre-winter gathering. This year was no different. Jim and Emma usually went to socialize with their neighbors and to dance a couple of the slower numbers. The gathering was combination of carnival, dance, and flea market. Jim and Emma had just finished a dance and were returning to their table. Just as Emma sat, the band started another song. "Emma, this is my favorite. Come back out on the floor with me," Jim pleaded.

When Jim and Emma danced, Emma buried her face in his shoulder. It was the way they always danced and it was comfortable for both of them. Emma regularly checked his shirtfront to make sure she did not leave her makeup behind. Besides, she just liked to touch him.

"Jim, give an old woman a break! I am tired. Go find someone else to dance with," Emma said laughingly.

"I will," Jim responded, "don't miss me too much." Emma waved Jim off as her neighbor, Mary, joined her at the table.

Mary immediately questioned Emma, "He has been going all night! Where does he get the energy?"

"Beats me," said Emma, "all I know is that he is not sharing! I wish he would. I cannot keep up with him any more."

Mary was concerned now, "Is everything all right with you two?"

"Oh, sure, everything is wonderful. I'm just feeling my age these days is all," replied Emma.

"But, isn't Jim older than you are?" asked Mary.

"Yes, actually he is," said Emma, "but you would never know it seeing him today."

Jim returned to the table in time to find Emma and Mary giggling like a couple of school girls. "What are you ladies so amused about?" he asked. "Are you ready for another dance, Em?"

"No, Jim! Why don't you sit and talk to us for a bit? Mary has been asking about you," Emma beseeched.

"Sure. How are you doing these days, Mary?" Jim asked politely.

"Apparently, I am not doing nearly as well as you are Jim," replied Mary.

"And the kids, grand kids, everyone good?" continued Jim.

"Everyone is great, Jim, thanks for asking. Right now, though, I'm more interested in you. You have been dancing more than any man half your age . . . and you are not slowing down. How do you do it?" asked Mary.

"Ah, Mary, I just feel good. That's all," replied Jim cautiously.

"There has to be more to it than that, Jim," Mary pressed Jim for an explanation.

"Mary, would you believe it if I told you I've had a close encounter?" Jim started tentatively. Emma dropped her glasses as she heard Jim’s question.

Mary laughed heartily, "Oh, Jim. You are so funny. Okay, so don't tell me!"

Jim and Emma exchanged looks and Jim said, "Hey, I tried."

After another dance, Jim and Emma said their good-byes and started home. The quiet was refreshing after the noise inside. Emma was thoughtful for a while and then spoke, "I can't believe you said that to Mary. What were you thinking?"

Jim smiled and replied, "It is the truth, isn't it? Besides, I knew she wouldn't believe it."

"People are going to think you have a few screws loose. You should be careful who you tell your tales to," replied Emma as she played with her glasses.

"You're beginning to sound doubtful again, Em. You do know I told you the truth," Jim looked at her thoughtfully.

"Yes, Jim. I do. I just want you to be careful," said Emma.

"I will, I promise," said Jim.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

ok chapters 1, 2 and 3 are along the same timeline, then POOF we're at a festival.

other than that, the chapter itself is pretty good - not sure about the tone of the last line or 2 though, maybe a bit more like mother and child than husband and wife?

Wednesday, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I didn't see the last two lines that way. I will give it some thought, though. Your comments are exactly what I need.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home