Thursday, July 28, 2005

Night Lights Book One Chapter Five

2/6/02

The next day, the newscaster started his broadcast with the “sinkhole.” “Exactly one month and one day after the mysterious appearance of the ‘sinkhole’ here in town, the city is finally doing something about it. Officials still have no clues as to the cause, but have decided that the rerouting of traffic cannot further inconvenience the city. The property owner is here today with his comments. Sir?” The neighbor from the first newscast appeared on the screen again.

“It has been horrible. With the rerouting of traffic, I have been forced to park on the next street over and cut through the yard behind mine. Fortunately, the people there have been really understanding. Even so, I want my driveway back.”

“Then you will be very happy to hear that the city will start filling the hole tomorrow,” prompted the newscaster.

“Oh, yes, once they fill it in and repair the street, the mayor has promised to hire a landscaper to do my front yard . . . as compensation for my inconvenience, of course!” the resident was obviously excited about this prospect.

Jim snapped off the television. “That’s okay, they are done with it any way,” he said.

“Done with what, Jim, and who?” asked Emma.

“They . . . are done with the hole,” Jim wasn’t being very specific.

“They? How do you know?” Emma was getting confused.

“They visited me again last night, while I was asleep,” Jim said this quietly, almost in a whisper.

“They did? But, why?” Emma’s confusion was growing.

“Once a month they’ll make contact to see how things are going,” Jim was at least speaking normally now.

“Things? Jim, I do not like this. What do they want?” Emma was suddenly afraid.

“Oh, Emma, everything is fine. Please don’t be frightened.” Jim reached for Emma and gave her a comforting hug.

Once a month they came. Jim appeared to have more energy with each passing month. On the night of the one-year anniversary, Jim and Emma were getting ready for bed. Jim kissed Emma lovingly and said, “Good night, Emma. Remember that I love you very much.”

“I love you too, Jim. More than you will ever know.”

Jim never woke up again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

whoa!

I can't decide if I like it or not V. I'm in no position to judge I think... sudden shocks are abundant enough in my own life lately.

Thursday, July 28, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Sorry, E. One more part to this book and then Jim's story is over. Thank you for sticking it out so far.

Friday, July 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home