Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Drawing Games

When we were kids all those so many years ago, we used to play some drawing games. Someone would scribble something on a piece of paper and then the next person would have to finish the drawing. Some of the stuff we came up with was pretty neat. I thought of that today when I found an Instant Muse Poetry Generator online. I had been thinking about writing as an art and a science when I decided to do a search to see what was out there.

Any way, this Instant Muse provides you with the first lines of your poem. The line it gave been was...In the autumn of ignorance the lawyers spit,... Now, this line doesn't do a whole lot for me. I could certainly work with "In the autumn of ignorance." Forget the lawyers. This generator, though, is very similar to those games we used to play.

In the autumn of ignorance,
we prepare for the coming of winter.
This is the way it has always been
even if we're not sure exactly why.

The squirrels, even, collect nuts
in their cheeks when their bellies
become full. They hide away treasures
for that not-so-distant snowy day.

The calendar doesn't tell them
when to stockpile their goods.
The trees release their nuts
which fall softly to the ground
and harder on the automobile.

Those not previously picked
by the more acrobatic creatures
can be raked from the leaves.
Nature announces the time
has come to burrow for home.

This same site has a Story Starter. I didn't get around to trying that one. I prefer to find my own stories. If I were really lacking inspiration, I might give this generator a spin just to see what happens. Maybe a portion of the results will spark it own story. I think I'd use a generator more out of curiosity than anything else. I do, however, greatly appreciate the fact that they exist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home