Sunday, July 17, 2005

Dollhouse Experiment

As I explained to someone earlier today, I write my short stories without a pre-defined plan. This is not a good thing. The stories would probably be much better if there was a direction from the beginning. What can I say, these were written three years ago before I knew any better.

I've typed up what I've got so far for the Dollhouse. I'm torn about where to go from here. Let's try an experiment and see what ideas you guys can give me. Of course, I've had three years to think about this. I hope you don't take that long. So, here goes...

------------------------

7/6/02

The dollhouse stood on a table in the corner of the playroom. It had been ignored for quite some time. The house was typical of those found on toy store shelves. It was two stories and made of metal. There were four rooms on each floor. The top floor housed three bedrooms and a bathroom. The bottom floor contained the living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room. The entire back of the house was open for easy access to the furnishings within. Also in keeping with the times, the furniture was a heavy plastic in primarily pink and blue.

There were no doorways connecting one room to another unless they were simply painted on the walls. There were no staircases leading from one floor to the other either. All movement between rooms occurred through the back of the house when, perhaps, a caring child decided to rearrange a given room.

The front of the house depicted lovely windows with painted flower boxes and a front door that did not open. The roof supported a plastic brick chimney that came off with relative ease. All in all, the house was attractive but left little room for imagination.

Ashley had received the dollhouse as a gift from her parents on her fifth birthday. For the first couple of weeks, she had hours of pleasure unwrapping furniture from their individual plastic bags and setting up each room to perfection. Once done, though, the house received attention only when Ashley’s friends came to visit.

Ashley’s birthday was here once again and she knew her grandparents had a surprise for her. Ashley was impatient for her grandparents to arrive. They were expected for dinner and a birthday party afterward.

Relatives began to arrive late in the afternoon. Dinner was scheduled for five o’clock. Ashley’s grandparents arrived shortly before they sat down to eat. Ashley barely knew what she ate. She knew that desert would be a birthday cake and then she could open her gifts. And, she received some wonderful gifts, but she did not know what her surprise was going to be.

“Grandpa?” started Ashley tentatively.

“Yes, Ashley?” replied grandpa.

“Do you have something for me?” Ashley knew she was being impolite in asking, but she had to know.

“Do I?’ grandpa teased, “well, let me see…” With that, he handed Ashley two bumpy packages that he pulled from his pocket. Both were wrapped in white tissue paper secured by pink and blue ribbons. They were six inches long. Ashley barely remembered to say “thank you” before she ripped open the first package. Grandpa helped Ashley remove the blue ribbon with his pocketknife Ashley unrolled the tissue paper to find a wooden figure of a little boy. He looked to be about 10 years old. The name of “Tim” was carved into the bottom of the figurine.

“Oh, grandpa, this is beautiful,” exclaimed Ashley.

Grandpa then helped Ashley with the pink ribbon. Nestled within this tissue paper was a figure of a little girl about eight years. Her name was engraved as “Amy.”

“Grandpa, they’re both very pretty, but I don’t understand.” Ashley looked at her grandfather quizzically.

“Ashley,” started grandpa, “I made these two people for your dollhouse. They will be your playmates on the days that you are alone. Do you like them, Ashley?”

“I love them, Grandpa. I will take good care of them,” responded Ashley.

“Good. I also have some other projects that I am working on for you. How about some wood furniture for that dollhouse? Would you like that, Ashley?” grandpa was warming to his subject.

“Really, grandpa? That would be great! But, there’s not too much room left.” Ashley explained soberly.

“Don’t be silly, Ashley. We’ll just take out that plastic stuff when we put in the wood. We’ll box it up in case you ever want it again. Besides, I’m eventually going to build you a new dollhouse, too. It’ll be wood with windows and doors that actually open. And, of course, I’ll have to make parents for Tim and what’s her name, there.”

Ashley said, “Amy, now you’re being silly Grandpa!”

Ashley went to bed that night dreaming of her new dollhouse.

Meanwhile, in the dollhouse, Tim and Amy were settling in.

1/5/03

Amy came around first. She found it difficult to move at first because of the hardness of the wood from which she was made. Silently, she cursed her creator for not using a more pliable substance. She worked her elbows and wrists and felt movement. Soon, she was able to move her arms freely. Her legs were more difficult. Amy manipulated her ankle and knee of one leg and found herself falling sideways. She landed heavily and uttered an “ouch!”

“Amy? Where are you?” This came from Tim who was in the next room.

“I’m here, Tim,” yelled Amy. “I’ll be there in a minute.” She was desperately trying to get her legs to move properly.

“Amy? I can’t move!” Tim was almost crying.

“I know, Tim. Just keep trying, but be careful. I fell over. I will be there just as soon as I can.” Amy was on her knees now and trying to stand up. She used her name pedestal for leverage. Soon, she stood on unsteady feet. Her first attempts at walking were wooden, of course, but she eventually felt her joints loosen up.

“Okay, Tim! Talk to me so that I can find you.”

“I’m scared, Amy. It is so dark!” cried Tim.

“I know, honey, but Ashley won’t let anything happen to us.” Amy used her most confident voice to reassure her brother.

Tim’s relief was immediate. “Oh good! Amy, who is Ashley?”

Amy threw up her arms in frustration. Sometimes boys were so dumb!

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

They will be your playmates on the days that you are along. (alone)

my biggest nit so far is that Timmy is older than Amy, right? But Amy is being motherly and acting older... I know girls mature faster but it feels wrong in here.

Also, if the rooms have no doors between them, either they're in the same room (which means I don't understand why she has to go looking fr him) or you need to not mention anything about the doors not existing.

Where to go from here...
I think obviously Ashley will lose interest and abandon them, unless they let her know they're "alive"

Sunday, July 17, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

changing the ages wouldn't be a problem if that's the case.

No doors is significant. When I first started writing this, these non-limber figures were going to have to use their heads to meet up with each other. Two problems exist, they have to be back on their pedestals by daybreak. They return to wood. And, they have to keep the fact that they're active from Ashley.

Yes, Ashley will get bored with them. How long will it take for them to get bored with Ashley and leave the safety of the house?

Sunday, July 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home