Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Stories

We don't often like the truth. So, we tell stories that contain some elements of truth and sugar-coat any parts that are difficult to deal with at that time. In actuality, telling stories is so much better than the truth because we can create a whole new truth simply by writing it out.

This really isn't about truth at all. It isn't about someone telling a lie either. It is more about our ability to tell tales. Yesterday, I wrote about my day. As much as it may have sounded like a tall tale, it was my day. Today didn't start out much better. Rather than telling you about that, though, I'd rather tell a story.

I took a little side trip just now to another blog. I had an incredible journey into the stories of a man I've never met and never heard of until just now. He took ordinary events and made them compelling reads. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and hope I remember to go back to do some more reading.

I used to do a lot of reading. I even belonged to a book club. I would read a book every couple of days. Then I became the part-time student with the full-time job. I didn't find much time to read except for textbooks. Once I joined the alternative education programs, like weekend college, we started a new class every six weeks.

I've been out of school now for 11 years. I've probably only read two dozen books in that time (I guestimate). I do most of my reading online and I attempt to write. Between working, cooking, and not cleaning, there still doesn't seem to be enough time to read like I used to. I would be quite happy to read a book every two weeks. I even bought one a couple of weeks ago. I got as far as putting my bookmark at the beginning and that's it.

So, I actually did find a story to tell even if it took me some time to get there. Try to read more. Find avenues you don't usually travel to get some fresh reading material. You might find some pleasant surprises. Oh, then, too, when you find something you enjoy, please let the author know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home