Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Other Side of the Rainbow

The heat made me dopey. I got home from work and was just so tired I didn't want to move. The air conditioning didn't help to revive me; I thought a shower might. I settled in front of the computer and couldn't focus. My mind wandered and suddenly I was on the other side of the rainbow. Your guess is as good as mine as to what this is supposed to look like, but humor me.

The other side of the rainbow is just past the pot of gold. It is two stones shy of Eden since sin is non-existent there. It is a miniature utopia where all of life's problems disappear and the weather adapts itself to whatever outfit you're currently wearing. It is pure perfection.

Seems, somehow, that perfection is only pleasant for a limited amount of time. Utopia, even in miniature, would surely become boring without contrast and conflict. How can we gauge our pleasure if we've forgotten what pain is? Until the apple was eaten, shame did not exist. Unfortunately, we've gone way past eating apples to get away that easily.

Good is balanced by bad. It is also defined by bad. One really doesn't know good until they experience the opposite. One doesn't truly know anything until they've experienced everything. I think I just lied, but for argument's sake, we'll agree with it. The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. Everything feeds on itself and its neighbor to make the "big picture."

Everything impacts everything else. What we do today may change what tomorrow will be. For instance, if we finish our book today, it is highly likely we won't be reading that book tomorrow. We may very well read a different book then, but not the one we just finished. Another example is when we finally decide to throw something away. As soon as we do, we find an awful need for it.

Obviously, I should have stayed on the other side of the rainbow today since I had no inkling of what this post was going to be. I had fun on my little adventure and I hope you enjoyed yourself as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I totally agree that we affect change with everything we do, and that good is only properly perceived in contrast with bad. I just wish the level of good always matched the level of the bads... or maybe it does and it's just too subjective.

Anyway, cool post. Made me think.
~E

Wednesday, June 08, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I'm glad there's some merit in this post. It started out as a reality-based story...I really was dragging from the heat...to flash fiction...to ramble. I defy all of my own advice at times. Thanks for looking beyond that.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home