Sunday, June 05, 2005

New Keyboard and Such

I bought a new keyboard today. When I went to log into DSL this morning, only half the keyboard worked. This is nothing new. I know that if I keep pressing the CAPS Lock key, eventually it all comes back. Well, it took a little longer than I would have liked today. So, fine, I bought a keyboard.

I bring it home and I'm ready to plug it in, and the cord is a bit short. Okay, so we won't wrap it around the monitor like we usually do. I got it all hooked up and checked, it came unhooked. I pulled the adapter off of the floor, only it was missing a piece. That piece was still plugged into the computer. So, I pulled that out.

I tried to put it back together, but sure enough, it was broken. So, I have to go right back out to get a new adapter. Now, without the adapter, neither keyboard will work. Oh what fun! My dad looked around to see if he had one; he didn't. Off we go to Office Max. Of course, once we get there, we can't find any sales people.

On the back wall, we found system cords. I first found an extension which would alleviate my short cord problem. The cord isn't actually short, but it plugs into the left side of the keyboard instead of the right. I still need an adapter, though. Finally, I found an adapter kit (maybe mom found it).

The world of retail is such that you can't simply buy what you need. I had to buy a kit with four adapters in order to get the one I needed. Okay, so, we're ready to go. This keyboard ended up costing me twice as much because of the extension and adapter.

It does have some neat features, though. I have buttons that automatically open word, excel, and power point. I have a functioning print screen button. I also have a scroll dial on the side of the keyboard that will move my page up and down instead of using the mouse. I have cut and paste buttons, too. I have a whole mess of buttons I may never use, but I like it. Too bad the keyboard is black and the rest of the desktop system is white.

That was my adventure for today. The adapter breaking may have been the cause of the malfunction on the old keyboard. Aggravation in 86 degree weather isn't very pleasant. We're all better now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

lol I swear that sounds like a story I'd tell. We're forever going through shit like this. Buying stuff we don't need to get things we do, then finding out we didn't need any of it, the problem was something else entirely. We have since adopted the policy of packratism. We have 14 cords to go to anything you need, we have spare parts for every blasted thing in the house. It's ridiculous.

Sunday, June 05, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

We have spare parts for some things too. And what we don't have, my dad does. Some things you just don't expect to break. I like my computer and I wasn't going to be without it because of a keyboard glitch!

Sunday, June 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home