Thursday, June 09, 2005

Internet and Email

We spent a couple of days talking about the internet and email. Today I have two stories I would like to share. The first one has to do with my Chicken Soup story. When I first tried to submit my story, I got an error message. I tried a second time and got the same error message. Instead of calling it a day, I stuck it out. I sent an email to the webmaster and copied the error message in the body. I told them I didn't think my story took. Could they check. The third time I submitted, I got the confirmation. Cool.

A couple of days ago, I received an email from the webmaster of Chicken Soup. They had no record of my submission, please try again. If I continued to have problems, I could fax or mail the submission. They said the confirmation should be automatic. Well, I had a confirmation from the third trial. Okay, so I went and submitted my story again. I got the confirmation instantly. Who knows if they really received the submission.

Chicken Soup says the acceptance process could take three to four years. They do not send rejection notices. The only way you ever hear from them is when they mail you for permission to print. There's really no way of knowing unless you get the permission to print.

The second story involves a friend of mine. I coerced her into submitting to a print journal back in March. I even sent hints to the editor about her work and still she never heard from him. Finally, I came right out and asked him if he found her submission. He claims to only have one person by that name in his submissions and it isn't her. I forwarded his email to my friend in hopes that she will turn right around and forward a copy of the original submission. We shall see.

So, as good as email and the internet are for submissions, they are not perfect. It never hurts to do some follow-up. Maybe it is about time for me to follow up with Half Drunk Muse...

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

lol It was March, the 16th actually, but I did resend (as you know)

I'm still completely embarrassed, especially after re-reading the poems I chose to send.

Thursday, June 09, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I fixed the month from April to March. I didn't expect you to reveal yourself, but I appreciate that.

You have nothing to be embarassed about. The poems you submitted were what was good at that time. I ought to know, I helped to pick them out.

Thursday, June 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home