Thursday, June 16, 2005

Insomnia

I lie awake and stare at the ceiling. While my body sorely needs rest, my brain is in supercharge. I really need to cut back on my caffeine after dinner. The longer I stare, the more my ceiling resembles the night sky with stars twinkling their eerie light.

As the shadows begin to move, I sigh and resign myself to yet another sleepless night. I outgrew the night creatures years ago. Now, if I could only turn off the faucet of thought, all would be well in my world. Just when I think the flow may be slowed to a trickle, someone yanks the spigot wide open.

Even so, I don't have the energy to drag myself out of bed to do something productive with my time. So, I remain staring at the ceiling. I start to count sheep. After a couple dozen cross my line of thought, the sheep turn into clouds. My ceiling was becoming much busier.

All the while, my mind reviews the events of the past couple of days. Then, it reviews the calendar of upcoming events. Remind myself to buy stamps tomorrow. I can't mail the birthday cards without stamps. Oh, and add brownie mix to the grocery list, we used the last box today. Okay, stop this now! We need to sleep.

But, the faucet was still running. If my thoughts were water, the bathtub would most certainly be overflowing by now. Oh, that reminds me, I need to research flood insurance...

2 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Holy Moly, Vickie. This sounds so familiar! I have had the same problem for many many years - I remember it even as a kid. :(

Friday, June 17, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

I wrote this at work. Funny thing is, I rarely ever suffer from this problem, but it is what I wrote about... Strange how that works sometimes.

Friday, June 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home