Sunday, June 26, 2005

Be Creative

I was aiming for a short poem one day, but decided that the haiku was just a wee bit too short. A tanka just wasn't right either. So, I got creative. I took the haiku format and adapted it. Instead of 5,7,5; I did 5,5,7,7,5,5. I could not find any claim to this format, but decided it suited me nicely.

In the process, my form got dubbed the Vicku. This is very sweet since I've never had anything named after me. The nice thing about it is that other people (well, one) have used this form. The down side is that you will find some people that won't embrace any form that is not thoroughly documented.

I'm documenting the form by putting it here. If being creative means being stuck to well-documented forms, then good luck to you. Being creative means being able to try new things and being comfortable with the effort. If you can't embrace true creative spirit, then you don't need to read my Vicku. One fewer reader isn't going to hurt me.

A poem is a poem is a poem. Whether is follows a formal structure or not. Why judge something simply because you've never seen it before? The outcome is still a poem, enjoy it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

yeah and the hell with non-believers!

Sunday, June 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home