Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Bondo and Fiberglass

I remember my parent's driveway being littered with car parts. We even had an engine hoist or two. My brother would smear bondo on any surface that was reachable. A crack or dent in the car's body didn't stand a chance when Nick got it into his mind to fix it. Once the bondo dried, he would sand the area until it passed his test for excellence. The cars would look like hell until they were painted, but they sure looked pretty when he was done. He even painted them himself and got pretty good at it.

Well, the driveway is a little more presentable now. So is the garage. And, Nick doesn't do so much of the car thing any more. It just goes to show though, that even something that starts out as a piece of junk can turn into something wonderful. We should never give up on a piece of writing simply because it is bad. Of course, it is much better to say that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, though, fixing it can be a great project.

The thing we need to remember is that none of this needs to be accomplished overnight. The marathon race can last for years and is more satisfying if we can enjoy the sights along the way. But seriously, don't trash something because you are not satisfied with it. Look at the multiple drafts I wrote for Chicken Soup. The final draft still isn't there, but I knew the first couple writes had problems. I fixed the problems. Now I just need to wax and buff.

We'll be on the road again in no time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

oh I like the posts like this V, where you tell us a bit about Miss V - personalize the advice. Good advice too!

ML~
~E

Wednesday, May 25, 2005  
Blogger Vickie said...

Thanks, E. I kept that in mind when I wrote today's entry. I hope you like it.

Thursday, May 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home