Sunday, April 24, 2005

What's the Rush?

I admit, these entries take me no time at all to complete. I liken them to touchdown passes. I get an idea and I run with it. This is probably because I don’t want the idea to get away from me. I don’t want an interception and I don’t want to be tackled. I want a touchdown every time. This requires some fast moves. I want the instant success. This may mean that I will never be great at what I do, but it makes me happy for now.

We must, though, consider the format. This has been a daily venture for me. The entries are generally short and contain only a few main points. Some only contain one main point. Many of them feed off previous entries and tend to be a bit redundant. If I were, at some point, to put this together in more of an article format, I would only need to create a collection of those points and weave them together.

If these columns were weekly or monthly, that story would be different. I think they would be much harder to write. There would be more depth and length to the content. As a daily dose, short is wonderful. As a weekly or monthly dose, more potency is required.

Normally, though, this is not the way to accomplish success. It is simply my way of doing things. I tend to stew on an idea for a bit and when I actually sit down to write, I knock off a project quickly. In the normal mode of things, hurrying through a project will not yield optimum results. There is no reason to rush things. Let me revise that last statement. The piece that we spit out in no time flat will probably make an incredible first draft.

Now it is time to regurgitate the piece to see what we like about it and what we don’t. Editing is difficult for many of us but it is so required. There’s no limit to how many times we can return to a piece for editing. I suppose we only require a feeling of completeness. There’s no rush in reaching this stage either. Slow down, take your time, and really get to know your work. The only clock you need to be concerned with at this point is your own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home