Monday, April 18, 2005

Multi-Faceted Diamond

A story has many sides to it. Like a multi-faceted diamond, each side has its own shine and sparkle. Our job as writers is to present our stories with maximum sparkle. I work in the health insurance field. Before that, I worked in medical offices. I have seen the physician’s side of the field, the insurance’s side of the field, and unfortunately, I have seen the patient’s side of the health care field. I’m sure there’s something I am leaving out.

Any way, I could take any of these sides of the insurance field and tell a story for that point of view. Finding a point of view that is less common can make a story more interesting. It is our job to find the least common denominator. People don’t want to hear the same stories over and over. They want to hear a story that has a difference in it. They want the shine and the sparkle of the gem. That is what we must present when we tell our stories.

When you next come up with a topic that begs to be written about, turn the idea over a few times to see if you can find the sparkle. If you’re really lucky, you might find the one flaw that demands to be publicized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home