Monday, April 04, 2005

Human Nature

I've been thinking a lot about the nature of humans lately. Actually, I've been getting quite pissed off about the nature of humans. The thinking part is good, the pissed off part is not. Getting pissed off doesn't help anything. Getting pissed off makes us do things we wouldn't necessarily do under normal circumstances. How do we overcome human nature in our work as writers?

If we consistently produce a good product and are true to ourselves in the process, we gain in the end. What is the saying? Good things come to those who wait? Well, lord knows, I'm waiting. If we share our knowledge and experience with others, we may be able to eventually refer them to some of our work. If we treat the work of others with respect and interest, hopefully the favor will be returned. This is what we call "reciprocity."

It is not that I feel that I have some super-special message I need to convey. It is that I feel worthy of being recognized for some small insight I may impart. I would be quite happy to have someone argue with me that they totally disagree with everything I have written. That would thrill me simply because my words reach someone enough to cause a reaction. A negative reaction is better than no reaction.

I believe myself to be flexible enough that if someone makes a better point that I do, my views can change. I firmly hold that a coin is not sufficient since it only has two sides. I take pride in the fact that I can often find a third side. I admit the third side of the coin is often the most obvious and therefore the least thought of point, but it is a valid point nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home