Sunday, March 20, 2005

Finding a Starting Point

When writing short stories we need to find a good starting point. This starting point needs to grab the readers attention as well as keep us within a reasonable length. One editor advised me to start with the pickle. In a way, this makes sense.

What is the conflict or predicament that our character finds himself in? Does it really matter how he got to that point? How our subject gets to the problem isn't as relevant as the problem itself. In a novel or longer work, this makes great introductory material. In a short story, it doesn't matter much.

We can, of course, cover some of this information in the telling of the pickle. More importantly, though, is how our character deals with the pickle and what he does to overcome the problem. Other details should be used to add interest to the piece and provide transition. Adding too much will make our story drag.

One major objective in a short story, is to keep the reader interested until the end. Grab the reader immediately with a predicament and move him with you through the solution. I realize this is somewhat vague, but hopefully it will help you decide where to start.

One editor told me to take my story and re-write it with the ending first. I never did. If I follow the advice above, maybe I should.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home